British Law
   community information site for citizens and small business
 | home | citizen area | organisation area | legal documents | books | law online | students | jobs |
citizen area topics:

Accident & Injury






Data Protection







Human Rights




Legal Aid

Motoring & Traffic

Nuisance & Pollution



Tax & Pensions

Wills & Probate

Women's Rights

- find a solicitor




British Law >> Citizen Area >> Conveyancing


Buying or selling you home requires adherence to certain legal requirements covered by the term 'conveyancing', that is, all the legal and administrative work associated with the transfer of property ownership (title) from one party to another.

Conveyancing is normally done for you by either a Solicitor, or a Licensed Conveyancer (England and Wales), but you can also do conveyancing for yourself.

The risks in conveyancing are minimised by using a trained professional who will not only conduct all the formal searches to establish title, planning applications, nuisance, disputes, etc., but will also be covered by the necessary insurances to protect you if anything goes wrong.

If you decide to do it yourself, you should make sure you have studied the process and obtained guidance from a reputable source. Guides do exist, and it is possible to do it all yourself, with caution.

The links below may help in deciding how to go about conveyancing, or what to do if problems arise.

Law Society Search Facility allows you to find solicitors providing conveyancing in your area.

CLC is the Council for Licensed Conveyancers, and provides both guidance, and a searchable directory of licensed conveyancers in your area (England and Wales). They also provide a downloadable guide on choosing and using a licensed conveyancer. Licensed conveyancers are generally cheaper than solicitors.

If you decide to do it yourself, you will find that it is mostly form-based work, but you must follow the protocol carefully, and be prepared to examine any lease or covenants very carefully. You can get hold of the standard forms from most legal stationers and from the The Land Registry provide an overview of the conveyancing process, issues, and options, as well as a buyers guide to the process.

Land Registry provides an overview of applicable law in England and Wales.

Boundary Problems covers legal aspects of boundary problems in England and Wales.